1 John 1:5-10 ESV
5 This is the message we have heard from him and proclaim to you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. 6 If we say we have fellowship with him while we walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. 7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin. 8 If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.
- What does this passage tell you about the character of God?
- How can you apply these truths to your life today?
In the book,* Allen gives two options, which she calls “projects,” for taking your study further – allowing God’s word to do a work in your life.
- Write out a prayer confessing that “anything” you have been holding back from Him. Ask Him to make His way clear to you.
- With a friend over coffee or, if you feel comfortable, with the group, share what has been hindering your freedom in the Lord and what God is revealing to you through His word.
Galatians 5:1 ESV
For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery.
- Check out this verse in multiple Bible translations; then, put it into your own words or describe what you think it means.
What are your most valuable resources when it comes to studying the Bible? Please share!
Here are a few of my favorites:
- NLT Parallel Study Bible
- YouVersion Bible App
- The Holy Bible – King James Version App
*Special consideration for our scripture studies this month come from Anything: The Prayer that Unlocked My God and My Soul by Jennie Allen, Thomas Nelson, Inc, © 2015.